Valentine’s Day at Blanche Ely High School.

Josthia Gabriel

Valentine’s Day at Blanche Ely High School in 2020, looked fantastic. The students looked great. Every couple was happy and joyful. When you arrived at Blanche Ely high school on February, 14 all you could see were the lively colors red, and pink. These colors didn’t only make the school look lively but awesome. When you walk around the school, you see students with balloons, gifts, teddy bears, and chocolates. Valentine’s Day at Blanche Ely this year was very interesting, there were no incidents that occurred. Plenty of students were smiling, after receiving their V-Day gifts from their lover. It was not only the students who were smiling, some teachers and counselors look very much happy, after receiving gifts and letters from students in their classes. This day was very special. 

As we all know, Valentine’s Day is a huge holiday. Based on my research, “the history of The holiday we know today got its name from a man named Valentine. While a few different stories are told about what he did to inspire the holiday, many people believe he’s celebrated for his role as a Roman priest who helped couples secretly get married.” 

Plenty of people do not know about the history of Valentine’s Day. That’s why I think that all high schools starting from 9th-12th grades should start making an event at their schools for the students to come learn about the history of Valentine’s Day and also come to enjoy themselves with their friends around lunchtime.

Madame B, an amazing teacher at Blanche Ely high school celebrates her birthday on February 14. She was found to be the only teacher in the school, who was born and celebrated her birthday on Valentine’s Day. So this year, her students created some beautiful hearts, and cards for her as her gifts. They were not only her birthday gifts, but her valentine’s gift.  According to a student, “Madame B was very happy.”

After what happened 2 years ago at stoneman Douglas high school, “we thought that Valentine’s Day wouldn’t be the same no more”, said a student at Blanche Ely high school. On February 14, 2018, a gunman opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, killing 17 people and injuring 17 others. After this sad tragedy, there were a lot of people who were in a lot of pain on Valentine’s Day this year 2020. It was very hard and difficult for some students to move on, and even celebrate Valentine’s Day ever again. 

Valentine’s Day is a time to celebrate friendships and love. It’s also the time to celebrate the joy of having other people in your lifetime. Therefore people should be happy and not sad. I know that some students are still mourning the deaths of 5geur family members which is very hard on them. So every year of this day, it gets worse for them, because it is the day that makes them remember the deaths of their loved one.