Broward Schools Adjust to Distance Learning

Nicole C. Correa

Online learning began March 30th, 2020 for all Broward county public schools. This pandemic has reached a point where we must stay socially isolated to prevent the spread of Covid-19, for the safety of the country. More than 80,000 laptops have been distributed to the county for a chance for students to catch up on their graduation requirements and classes.

Coursework will be done through http://sso.browardschools.com, a place where students can report to class virtually as attendance is taken automatically. Students can approach the Clever Launchpad, which gives them accesses to online textbooks, Canvas, Khan Academy, and many other resources. Students must be familiar with their BCPS student number and password to “log in” through the launchpad. This program allows students to work at their own pace around the clock, at any time of the day. Some resources or assignments may require a student to work at a certain time for virtual face to face meetings, such as a resource called “Zoom”.

Schools will remain closed and we will continue our distancing protocols until at least April 15th, 2020. It is still undecided and unsure when or if we will return to a normal school operation, but the next update prior to this decision will occur on the 15th of April. There will not be any extended days added to the school calendar, the last day of school is still scheduled to be on June 2, 2020. School districts have been directed to develop plans to operate schools through June 30th, 2020, if essential. School phones are still accessible and emails for any questions or requests, as well as school counselors that can be contacted within Canvas. The last day for the third quarter is Friday, April 3, although the last day to submit work for the third quarter is April 1st, 2020. The 4th quarter marking period begins Monday, April 6, as schools will continue to operate on an accelerated block schedule.

For those who are graduating during the 2019-2020 school year, all assessments have been waived. Assessments such as the Algebra 1 EOC and FSA ELA are now waived for students who have not had the chance to pass. Community service hour requirements have been waived for graduation this year as well. This leads to all state testing and concordance requirements being waived. Promotion and graduation decisions will be based solely on District criteria of total course credits, distribution of courses across academic disciplines and minimum GPA. We are all trying to stay safe at home during this unexpected pandemic but learning never stops!